Friday, September 23, 2011

4 Years Old






Hard to believe it has been 4 years already! So many things to say about this one. You never have to guess with Kennedy. She will let you know. It is one of the things that may frustrate me at times, but is mostly so wonderful. When she laughs, it is a deep laugh, a contagious laugh, a laugh of pure enjoyment. You can see just how much she enjoys life, her life, when she laughs. I love her laugh. When she cries, which is OFTEN, she is unable to be consoled by anyone. She is compassionate and cares for others, though she tries to hide these qualities from her mother as much as possible. But because they make up so much of who she is, she cannot hide them from me all the time. When I get to witness her acts of compassion, it makes my heart swell with pride. Her Duck teacher told me how Kennedy and another little girl in the class have taken it upon themselves to make sure one of the shy girls is included and playing. They have taken her under their wing. My heart swells. But she can be a stinker too, especially to those she loves the most. When she went to eat with her Daddy and I (while Presley was at school), her Daddy asked her if she was going to tell Presley we ate at Which Wich. Kennedy quickly replied, "Let's tell her we ate at Mc Donald's!" But Kennedy has a sweet spirit, she loves the Lord. She has a lot to learn, (but don't we all?) She recently received a warning in her preschool class. Our conversation when like this:

K: I got in trouble at preschool
M: What did you do?
K: I don't want to talk about it!
M: Were you talking when you were suppose to be quiet?
K: No
M: Were you playing when you were not suppose to?
K: No
M: Were you up running around when you were suppose to be sitting?
K: I told you I did not want to talk about it!!!!!

I love that girl. But what I really love about her is her tender heart and how she is willing to learn from her mistakes and change. We were doing her hair before preschool a few days later and I asked if she had been running around anyone when she was not suppose to. Here is how the conversation played out:

K: No
M: Well I am glad. You need to obey your teachers.
K: I don't have to obey my teachers, I just have to obey God.
(While I am glad she has learned God is our ultimate authority, I want her to learn that God wants her to be submissive to those He has placed in authority over her!)
M: Did you know that God's Word tells us we have to obey our parents and I am telling you that you need to obey your teachers.
K: I did not know that
M: Well now you do!
A few seconds pass and I notice that her hands are over her eyes and that she is upset, crying.
K: (tearful sobs) I did not know
M: I know you did not know, that is why I am teaching you. I love you and am glad that you are sorry. Now you know and will obey.
K: Shakes her head yes

A repentent heart at the age of four, grieved. God has great plans for her! I pray that she will continue to grow in wisdom and stature and in favor with God and men. (Luke 2:52)

She woke up early this morning and I was laying with her until she fell back asleep. I heard her talking to herself. She was talking about God and all the mean people on earth, but God loved us so much He sent His Son to die on the Cross and there was only one man, Noah that He saved. She learned that in Sunday School last week. She listens. She learns. It is in her heart! My heart swells! Her BSF teacher told me during her quiet time one week, laying on the floor, she lifted her hands and sang "Holy, Holy, Holy!" My heart swells. Her prayers used to be, "Dear Lord, thank you for this day. Thank you for letting us go no where! Amen." But they have grown. She thanks Him for the actual things she has done that day and she often thanks Him that Nanny and Grandmother Josie are in heaven with Him. My heart swells!

In so many ways I see her growing up, so fast. I see her maturing, thinking, learning. She does not care what others think of her, so others LOVE her. (A power I pray she will us for good and not evil!) She LOVES barbies, princesses, her sister, dance (though she will not admit that to my face), life! She is 41 1/4 inches tall and 39 pounds which is the 75% for both. She still uses pronouns incorrectly, but it is so cute! She still has some speech issues, but the doctor and Speech Path friend assure me that she will grow out of it.

Four quick years! Four wonderful years! I cannot image my life without her. God has blessed me with this wonderful child! Kennedy Alexis Thomas!


No comments: