
Inauguration Day, January 20, 1009
Today is a historic day. One day while sitting in your American History class you will read about this historic election and inauguration. Barak Hussien O'Bama has just been sworn in as our 44th president. Our first African American President. It is an amazing moment in history.
Why is it historic?
On September 22, 1862 President Abraham Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation freeing slaves.
On December 18, 1865 the Thriteenth Amendment was ratified prohibiting slavery.
One Hundred Years later.....
The Civil Rights Acts in the 1960's that outlawed racial segregation in schools, public places and employment were passed.
Before the civil rights act, African Americans had to attend different schools, drink from different water fountains, use different bathrooms, sit in the back of the bus, could not enter many establishments all because of the color of their skin.
April 28, 1963, Martin Luther King Jr. made his historic "I have a Dream Speech."
Today, 26 years later, 147 years after Abraham Lincoln began the legislation for all Americans to been seen as equal, that dream has reached fruition.
Our first African American president has been sworn in as the 44th President.
A record number, over 1.4 million, braved the cold, to witness history.
I did not vote for Barak Obama, but I can appreciate the importance of this day.
Today is not a day to focus on differences.
It is not about whether I voted for him or not.
It is not about whether I agree with his policies or not.
It is about our country.
I love this country.
I feel lucky and blessed to be able to call myself an American.
The older I get, the more I understand the cost of the freedom I enjoy.
The older I get, the more I understand how important it is to support and pray for our leaders.
The older I get, the more I understand that God is in control of all things.
God allowed this government to be created in 1776.
God has called us to support and pray for leaders, not just the leaders we like or agree with.
Barak Obama needs our prayers.
I pray that he will do a great job for our country.
It is not the time dwell on the differences.
It is time to focus on the things that I can admire about our 44th president.
He was born to a white American mother and a black Kenyan father.
He did not grow up with wealth.
He did not grow up with a father in his home.
He was able to rise up and reach his dream.
Last night, Barak hosted three diners to honor those who have tried to achieve "bipartisianism"
One for Colin Powell
One for vice president, Joseph Biden
One for his former opponent, Republican nominee, John McCain.
Barak even suggested that hosting a dinner for the opposing nominee should become a tradtion.
What a wonderful idea.
As I watched the festivities, I saw that John McCain was there and gracious.
It made me proud to be an American.
We can overcome our differences and we can work together to make this nation a great nation.
I do not understand what it is like to grow up with prejudices to overcome.
I do not understand what it is like to hear relatives talk about the discrimination they endured.
I do not understand what it is like to grow up an American American, a minority, in this country.
I am sad that our history includes such prejudical, hateful, painful behavior.
I am sad that we judged people because the color of their skin.
I am sad that people have such terrible stories they can tell of how they were mistreated by others.
But today:
It is a wonderful thing to be able to watch this historic event that means so much to the African American community and beyond.
It is a wonderful thing to see that our country is finally able to overcome our painful past, our painful history of judging people by the color of their skin.
It is a wonderful thing to see that we are able to move forward and see others as human beings, deserving of love and respect.
I know we have a long way to go.
I know there is much work to be done.
But today I am hopeful that in the future perhaps we will be able to see others as God does, "created in His image."
Today, all Americans have hope that they too can acheive their dreams.
Today I know my girls will know nothing different.
Anything they desire, they can acheive.
That is a wonderful thing.
That is America.
On this day I am proud to be an American!
No comments:
Post a Comment