Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Thomas Infirmary

We have been running an infirmary this weekend. This is a first and hopefully as last for us. My Friday went something like this:
8:30 am I visit Dr Allen, UTI. No trip to the pharmacy just yet, he gave me samples of Avelox and will call me on Monday with my prescription after the cultures come in.
11:00 am I take Kennedy to see Dr Knapp because she is running a fever. Thought it was possibly an ear infection. No, strep.
Noon I talked Kennedy into going to the Cabi sample sale at Midway and 635 because I desperately wanted this cute green pea coat she had on hold for me. I also picked up a cute red one as well for 65% off! Now I can look almost as cute as my friend Julia, who inspired me to get the cute green coat in the first place.
4:30 pm Brad walks in the door shaking because he says he is so cold. He has a 101.5 fever. I give him advil and started him on a Zpack I had from my last dr visit.
The girls and I get ready to go to Grand Betty's to celebrate my father's birthday.
5:15 pm, I take Brad's temperature again, 102.8
I call and cancel our appearance at my father's birthday party.
Presley is beyond sad she is not getting to go to Grand Betty's. Much crying occurs.
5:30 I call Brad's mom who suggests I call the doctor's messaging service.
I call the messaging service who reminds me they cannot take calls until after the after hours clinic closes at 8. Totally forgot they had an after hours clinic. Am a bit relieved because that is only a $25 co pay.
5:35 I call the after hours clinic to find out the wait, there was only one person waiting.
5:40 Call Brad's mom to arrange drop off of the children and pack up PJ's and the medicines that Kennedy needs because she has strep
5:45 We head out to drop off kids, get gas (I was 30 miles to E) and go to the after hours clinic in Colleyville. Did I mention that it was also bitterly cold!
6:30 Arrive at after hours clinic and wait.
6:45 We see Dr Allen (me for the second time), checked everything out and did a flu test, nothing. Tells us to continue the zpack, take a lukewarm shower, rest and drink lots of fluids. His temperature is still 102.8
7:15 We stop at Subway for some dinner and then head home.
7:15pm - 1:10 am Brad reluctantly takes a lukewarm shower. His fever comes down to 101. I set my alarm to midnight so I can give him another round of medicine. I sleep from 11-midnight, give medicine, sleep from midnight to 1:10 only to be awakened by Brad having a bad experience in the restroom. I take his temperature it is 104.5. I make him get into the shower and I call the dr answering service who recommends we just go straight to the ER.
1:45am We get to Baylor Grapevine. Very grateful that it is a slow night. They immediately get him back to a room. The dr thinks it is probably viral, but does a chest x-ray and bloodwork. While we wait on the results, Brad gets an IV for fluids and some medicine and he takes tylenol. After a long while, the dr comes back in and says the x-ray shows the beginning of pneumonia, which explains everything. He gives as a new prescription.
4:45 We leave Baylor Grapevine. We drop of the prescription at CVS, go through Whataburger drive through for a taquito and cinnamon roll, the gas station for gatoraide, and back to the pharmacy.
5:30am We finally get home.
6:00 am Finally bed.

In case you lost count, let me review....3 dr visits, 1 ER visit, two trips to the pharmacy, and $275 poorer all in less than 24 hours!
Oh and Brad ended up getting strep too!
And we cannot forget that late Saturday Presley decided she felt left out and threw up!

It has been loads of fun!
But God has been good, we are all surviving (Me in large part to my mother in law who took my kiddos!).

No comments: