Monday, February 9, 2009

Grandmother Josie




My Grandmother Josie passed away on Monday, February 2, 2009. Just two weeks shy of her 92nd birthday. She was a sweet, sweet lady. I have many fond memories of her. She was not much of a talker, but she enjoyed being around and observing. People say that I favor her. Looking at pictures when she was younger, I would have to agree, I do look a lot like her. I hope that I hold up as good as she did. She looked beautiful. She was almost 92 years old and her skin barely had wrinkles and she never used moisturizer.

She was my father's mother. She was 75% indian. Her native language was Chickasaw. She attended an Indian school in Kansas, she played soccer in her younger years (just like me). Her great grandfather was the Edmund Pickens, the first and only elected chief of the Chickasaw nation. Edmund Pickens negotiated treaties between the Indians and the Confederate States before the Civil War, and the Indians and the United States after the Civil War. I often joke with Brad that I really am an "Indian Princess." I am a card carrying Indian, I have a roll number. Soon, my girls will be as well! There is a rich indian heritage on that side of the family.

The funeral was nice. I was able to see family members I had not seen in years. I saw a cousin that I had not seen in almost 20 years. They had the Chickasaw singers sing two hymns in Chickasaw, "Amazing Grace" and "In the Sweet, By and By." It is an indian tradition to place a bag of spices and flour in their casket so they can make food when they arrive at their destination. They will share a meal with all those who have arrived before them. A blanket is placed on their casket to keep them warm on their journey. It made me think of the meal that we will all share when we arrive in heaven. Christ is waiting to share a feast with his bride.

I loved my grandmother and will miss her dearly. I look forward to the day when we will be able to share that feast together.

No comments: